Saturday, April 16, 2011

Barcelona Xocolata

Ambling along La Rambla and environs one becomes enveloped in a chocolate-lovers dream. 
The elegant display at Escriba.
Simply put, I am giddily drunk from all the chocolate in Barcelona. I have never seen so much chocolate in my life, in such varieties. This next series of photos are from chocolatiers at La Boqueria, which, by the way, meets all of my expectations.  
Chocolate porcupines from La Boqueria.
This place, at the front of the market, has truckloads of chocolate and candy.
There is enough at the market to satisfy the most serious of chocolate addicts, and then some. 
Truffles and chocolate with pistahcio, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts...
More chocolate and fruta.
Okay, out of La Boqueria now and into the alleys. A trip to Granja Viader, founded in 1870.
At around 10:00AM on a Saturday, it's filled with locals.
At last. I have been wanting to try chocolate for ages.  This is the Spanish kind that requires a spoon and was a dark chocolate version. It is thick, but was not nearly as rich as I expected, perhaps because it is dark...and made sans leche. It did not taste mousse-like.  (There are also milkier versions.)
Here is one typical way to enjoy it: with a spongy biscuit that resembles the French madeleine, but is more practically shaped for dipping.   
From Xocoa 
Buttons from from Xocoa.
Chocolate that looks like art. The sign at the top is in acknowledgement of the recent Japanese earthquake victims. Of course it is also a sales ploy, but  I was still appreciative. The stores along Career de Petritxol (street) were running these signs.  With Easter a week away, there has been an explosion of chocolate and candy eggs, of all kinds--and I mean ALL kinds!
Dark, ostrich-sized chocolate eggs...
Eggs with Barça players on them (this one of Puyol)


Eggs with Sponge Bob, Dora and others...
Here is a chocolate display with a candy Xavi, Hello Kittys, Doraemon (Japanese character), Cinderellas...

Chocolate churros:


I tried the "regular" churros which were warm and made me feel like home:
According to the Museu de la Xocolata (Chocolate Museum), Spain is the 7th largest consumer of chocolate--after the UK, and Japan. What? With all this chocolate here? How could this be?!
Panel at Museu de la Xocolata
I actually have TONS more chocolate photos, but I didn't want to scare off my few precious readers away.  Okay, next up will be pastries, candy (non-chocolate), live fish or olive oil...¡Ay, caramba!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erika!
    Your pictures look great!
    I loved showing you the foodie secrets of the Old Town, and reading your post makes me relive all the little pleasures we experienced!

    Marta

    ReplyDelete