Sunday, June 26, 2011

Breaking Bread with Tartine

I have declared my love for Tartine in the past. I shall do so yet again.
White bread with raisins.  But far more interesting than it sounds. 
Their pastries are so otherworldly that it is difficult to look beyond them.

But today, I tried their bread.

It is super crusty on the outside, tender and chewy on the inside. Did I say super crusty? I'll say it again:  It is SUPER CRUSTY.  Tis tasty enough to eat plain, but smeared with butter, it becomes an addictive drug.  By the way, you need your teeth to eat it, it is so chewy. 
Country white bread. Huge. Heavy.  Thrown, it doubles as a weapon.
Store-brand sandwich bread tastes like cardboard in comparison. Even bread from restaurants  seems suddenly sub par.

Chad Robertson is Tartine co-founder and master bread maker. He wrote the book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment