Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tomatero Farm

Saturday, October 2, 2010
San Mateo Farmers' Market

Making my rounds of Bay Area farmers' markets, I went on Saturday to San Mateo's, perched on the College of San Mateo (CSM) campus.  There, I discovered Tomatero Farm among other delights (namely Broiche Bakery--OMG, and my beloved Bolani bread stand) to be covered at some point, hopefully soon.


I gravitate towards tomatoes and strawberries, more for their looks than their tastes, and Tomatero's produce was radiant. In addition to selling at the CSM farmers' market, Tomatero Farm, from Watsonville, CA does home and wholesale business.

Heirlooms, ready to eat.


A feast for the eyes, these tomatoes demand to be bought, sliced and drizzled in olive oil.

Green Zebras - glistening.

 More heirloom beauties.

Cherry tomatoes

"Tomatero," is Spanish for tomato picker.
'Tis the season to be checking out tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite heirloom tomato salad dressing:

    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp minced shallots
    1/2 tsp mustard

    Mix together on sliced heirloom tomatoes that have been seasoned with salt and pepper -- its heavenly! For added kick, you can add chopped parsley on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a ridiculously simple, but incredibly tasty recipe, which I tried with this week's heirlooms. I used no measurements but just poured a generous helping of olive oil into an almost-empty jar of Dijon mustard. Then I added a short pour of balsamic vinegar and shook the jar. My dressing turned out to be a mushroom color and thick.

    My tomatoes were not particularly tasty plain. But this dressing made them spectacular-tasting.

    ReplyDelete