Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vanilla Moon Bakery

Saturday, October 2, 2010
872 Laurel St 
San Carlos, CA 94070
(650) 593-3015


Here's a bakery that was high on my list during my cupcake-infatuation a few years ago.

Red Velvet
Were I still in that stage, I suspect I would be coming here anytime I was in the Belmont neib'. Vanilla Moon is a feminine bakery: set in rich, dark paneling, it  is intimate, with little round tables--ideal for chatting. It serves classic-flavored cupcakes, cookies, bars, lunch items (sandwiches and quiche), coffees, and Mightly Leaf teas, which come out on a tray with a teapot.

In the two hours that I was there on this Saturday morning, I cannot recall a single man walking in.  That couldn't have been true (Belmont does have a male population), but I didn't notice any. I did see many women there though, alone or sipping coffee with a friend over a little table.  With small children, on occasion.

SL, a karate friend and I were among those pairs of females, catching up on karate gossip and other developments. We fit right in.

Cupcakes are $3.50 each. The Red Velvet cupcake was good but the cake was a bit firm.  I say, not dry, but firm.  The frosting was a ten, though.
                                       High Hat  - Woohoo! Woohoo!!
High Hat reminds me of chocolate dipped cones I used to get from Carvel as a kid.  These are chocolate cupcakes topped with a voluminous mound of marshmallow cream:


This one was a winner.  After finishing this one, I was scrapping the wrapper with a spoon to get every last bit.  The cake was moist and but not oily, and just the right sweetness.  I'll have to venture outside of my neighborhood bubble again soon to try Vanilla Moon's other stuff, namely their chocolate cupcake with the white swirl on top that looks like a Hostess cupcake.

In Short

Food: Cupcakes, pastries, cookies and sandwiches.
Bathrooms: Large, private, clean (a woman's bathroom!).
Ambiance: Classy-but-casual, elegant-but-casual interior with view of downtown; a feminine vibe.
Other: Smack in downtown Belmont.

No comments:

Post a Comment