Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 2: Where I Took the Japanese Food Demon this Weekend

Second fueling stop at the Ferry Building on Saturday was the Imperial Tea Court.

A tall white dude, garbed in a changshan, was hovering above straw baskets filled with steamed buns.   I am a slave to steamed buns. In the Chinatown in Yokohama, Japan, you can get these XXL-sized ones filled with such things as kabocha and chestnut paste (as well as savory flavors).   These divine puffs always come to mind when I see versions elsewhere.

The options at Imperial Tea Court on this day were red bean, pork and veggie. I chose veggie, which had in it mustard greens and shiitake mushrooms. Ordinarily I avoid shiitake, but I love well prepared mustard greens, so I went for it.  

Mustard greens and shiitake inside.

The bun was everything I could have wished for, except maybe, supersized. ;-)  I am trying the red bean next time too.  $3 or $3.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment