Friday, August 20, 2010

Dinner & Dessert

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Comfort food at Kennedy's

327 W. 57th

I love Thanksgiving dinner. So I ordered it on this evening, before the Lincoln Center concert.


At Irish pubs in New York, the staff have Irish accents--at least some of them. What a perk! What a glorious perk!

We were seated in the clubby dining section in the back where a Musak version of "Penny Lane" played repeatedly for a good twenty minutes. Deep in conversation, Maura and I had tuned it out, but during a pause we noticed it was still playing. But our server quickly did something about it: moments later it was other Musak-type songs, but at least they were different.


Maura says this place is reliable for standard Irish fare. Burgers, Shepherd's Pie, etc. (attention carnivores).


Dessert was
Lincoln Center.

The Mostly Mozart Orchestra played an all-Mozart program of his popular works:
  • Symphony No. 25 in G minor
  • Piano Concerto 20 in D minor (Antti Siirala, Pianist)
  • Symphony No. 40 in G minor
The concert was the highpoint of the day. The music had a rapturous quality. (Tinkling piano and melodic reeds will get me on most occasions.)

We had good seats in row T of the orchestra section, at $62 each, purchased about a month before the event. If you get them sooner, you'll have even better seats. Below is a poor picture that will (hopefully) give you a sense of where we were seated...although now that I am looking at it, it looks farther back than it seemed then. Whatever the case, yes I would totally do that again and be delighted with those seats, especially if the man in front of me weren't as tall.

(The staggered section of people way in the back are audience members--not musicians. The stage is between them and people dressed in white who seem to be arranging themselves.)

The scene at the fountain at night.

The Mostly Mozart concerts, like the beach, epitomize summer for me. So I had me my summer moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment