Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chaat Paradise

165 E El Camino Real
Mountain View, CA 94040
(650) 965-1111

Reviewed 7/22/2007

I forget my table manners when going to this vegetarian paradise because it is impossible to not want to grab and scarf down everything on the table before anyone else does.

Good thing the place is casual (near dumpy in looks) and the service is nonchalant.

Tip: go early, or on a weird day like Monday. Many people love this place. At 9:30 PM on a Saturday night some time ago, the place looked like a disco.

If you have a good appetite, you might find as I do that the portions are small enough that you can order a bunch of different things even if with just another person.

Last night I went with a foodie girlfriend and we practically licked the plates dry. The servers kept coming by to remove dishes, but we told them unashamedly-- at least on two occasions--that we weren't quite finished polishing them off yet.

There's not a dish on the list below that I wouldn't order again (the last two I didn't try--shame on me--but the foodie-pal whose opinions I swear by approved).

What we ordered with special dishes noted:
  • Papadum
  • Raita
  • Roti - The stuff stretches--an essential with the food.
  • Masala roti - Flavorful, a little spicy and the size of a dinner-plate.
  • Pani poori - A little sweet, a little spicy. A big hit.
  • Masala Bhindi (okra w/tomatoes) - One of the prettiest Indian dishes I have seen.
  • Spinach dahl - My friend said it was little runny. True, it was not at all thick--in fact, I was spooning it onto my roti since I wasn't able to lift much up when I dragged the roti in it. BUT I didn't have any issue with the flavor!
  • Mango lassi
  • Aloo paratha

Dinner was $37 with the tip.

We wobbled out of the restaurant almost uncomfortably stuffed, but otherwise quite happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment